Monday, February 7, 2011

Well Behaved Women Don't Make History

I saw this quoted on a bumper sticker yesterday in a Walmart parking lot.  There were other rather insightful bumper stickers on the truck parked next to my mundane little Insight, but that one just spoke to me.  So, I'm going to keep that in mind the rest of 2011 and beyond.  It is both a challenge and permission and I need both.

The Knit Party last weekend was a mixed bag.  On one hand, there were only five of us in attendance (when I thought 12 were coming) so there was a lot of leftover food and wine.  On the other hand, the women that did attend were delightful and we had a great time. 

I taught one woman how to knit from the ground up with the Learn-to-Knit kit I had gotten her for Christmas.  Another woman I had taught how to cast on and knit last year was ready to learn purling.  And another woman who has been knitting off and on for years just needed some advice on finishing a block afghan.  The other woman is grieving from the loss of a husband last year and isn't quite ready to learn to knit.  I'm convinced she will be more receptive later on and I'll be ready to teach her then.

Unfortunately I have broken several of my New Year's knitting resolutions already.  I didn't get a new post on here last week with preparation for the Knit Party.  Also, and my worst infraction, was breaking my resolution to not buy any new yarn until after Presidents' Day.  Darn that Weshop.com website!  I couldn't resist their half off special on Joann.com and Fabric.com gift certificates.  Combined with 30% off all yarn and free shipping, I was a goner, and ordered immediately.

I got 4 skeins of oatmeal Fishermen's Wool (my current fave), a cone of cream Lion Brand 1878 wool, several sets of bamboo single point needles, 10 skeins of Gedifra Riana Yarn in beige tweed and new point protectors.  Then there was that trip to Joann's yesterday for 2 sets of bamboo double points that resulted in a new spring tape measure and 2 honkin' big skeins of Bernat Baby Blanket in shades of pink/orange for a cushy blankie for little June Bug. 

Yes, India, my oldest,  found out my next grandchild (due in late June) is really a girl and her name is going to be June Alyxandra (middle name same as my middle daughter Jade's).  I'm so thrilled to be able to knit tiny girl thingies and have more plans for projects than I'll probably ever get finished.

I did finish the Anthropologie-inspired toddler cardigan.  I took several pictures but still need to list it on Etsy.com.  Not sure if I'm up for recreating it multiple times, but I like the way it turned out.  While I was using the infamous Fishermen's Wool I also churned out another "Oatmeal Slouch Hat" for my Etsy.com shop.  In addition, I designed and knit my new hat pattern "Put a Bird On It!" which is posted here on the blog page using the Iceland Lopi mentioned in the previous posting. 

Also, I am half finished knitting slouchy cabled socks in a lovely pink Rowan Extra Fine Merino DK for a friend awaiting a kidney transplant.  She is very ill and I hope these cuddly socks will comfort her.  I'm also half-finished with another pair of denim blue cabled socks for my daughter Jade, who will be having her tonsils out in another month and recovering afterward at my place.

No comments:

Post a Comment